March 2011

Gifford Park Association

General Membership Meeting Agenda

 

Thursday, May 19, 2011, 7:00 p.m.

 

U-46 Building, 355 E. Chicago, Room 239

 

 

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

 

 

 

2. Handouts and Announcements

 

 

 

3. Secretary’s Report – Approval of minutes for meeting of 3/17/11

 

 

 

4. Treasurer’s Report

 

 

 

5. ROPE Officer’s Report

 

 

 

6. Standing Committee Reports

 

a. Membership

 

b. Program

 

c. Historic District

 

d. Public Relations

 

e. Housewalk

 

 

 

7. Salvage Committee Report

 

 

 

8. Website Development update and request for funding approval

 

 

 

9. Tree-For-All committee update

 

 

 

10. Summit Park Neighbors and tree funding proposal

 

 

 

11. Turkey Trot update

 

 

 

12. Other Comments and Concerns

 

Gifford Park Association

General Membership Meeting Minutes, March 17, 2011

355 E. Chicago, Room 239

 

Attending: David & Jennifer Williams, Joseph and Armida Dominguez, Paul Kuester, Chris and Karen Bach, Deborah Allen, Fran Cella, Dan & Pat Miller, John & Carol Anderson, Fran Cella, Donna Leetz, Barb Counterman, Tony Sanchez, Ali Hallock, Bill Decker, Dorie Alpha, ROPE Officer Eric Echevarria

Guests: Tish Powell, Jason Pawlowski, Anna Moeller, Shane Nowak, Officer Ross

 

Meeting was called to order at 7:04 p.m.

 

David’s Handouts and Announcements:

The Elgin Public Museum will host Science Night on March 18th at 6pm. The city is taking applications for Elgin Citizen Police Acedemy. Friends of Lord’s Park Zoo will host a fundraiser for the bison on March 26th from 2-5pm at the Eagle’s Club in Gilberts. Porch party sign-up sheet is going around. Foxtrot is coming on May 30th, GPA needs volunteers to man the water station on Hill Ave. ECN is hosting a Adirondack chair competition this summer. Fran and Karen have volunteered to design and paint our chair. Please see one of them if you are interested in helping. GPA has been invited back to Concert in the Park. Not sure of our date yet. The plant swap will be May 14th at 384 Division. Great unveiling is May 21st, location TBD. Road Rally on May 14th is a scavenger hunt where the city needs a few volunteers to man a location in our neighborhood to give clues to the next location to teams of players.

 

Secretary’s Report:

Motion to approve the minutes of February 17, 2011 by Donna Leetz, seconded by Dorie Alpha. The motion carried.

 

Treasurer’s Report:

Dan Miller reported GPA’s total treasury stands at over $105,000 of which approximately $23,000 is in the checking account.

 

ROPE Officer’s Report:

ROPE Officer Eric Echevarria reported the following: Operation Homefront.

Citizen Police Academy is wort while to learn what Elgin Police Officers do on a daily basis.

As always, if you ever have questions or concerns, you may contact Eric directly:

[email protected]

Or: (847) 354-3394

 

Standing Committee Reports:

 

Membership

Chair Dorie Alpha reported that the Membership Potluck is on April 15th at Lord’s Park Pavilion.

 

Program

Chair Fran Cella reported that she is looking at a joint program with Summit Park Neighbors and Settlement.

 

Historic District

Chair Donna Leetz reported she is having a meeting on March 28th at 7pm to go over ideas. Bring yours!

 

Public Relations

Chair Barb Counterman reported that tonight’s meeting was posted in the paper.

 

Housewalk

Carol Anderson reported that planning is rolling right along. Flyers are available for sponsorships. The next meeting is April 7 at EAHS at 7pm.

 

New Website Development:

Tony Sanchez reported the subcommittee will hold its first meeting on Monday, March 21st at 7 pm at his house, 132 N. Channing. Anyone with ideas for the new GPA website is encouraged to attend, or you can e-mail suggestions to Tony at:

[email protected]

 

Special Guest, Jim Bell:

Jim Bell from the City of Elgin Forestry Department spoke about the 2011 Tree planting program in our neighborhood.

 

After some discussion, a motion was made by John Anderson to allocate up to $8000 in matching funds for the Tree-For-All subcommittee to apply for a Neighborhood Improvement Grant to plant trees in our neighborhood. The motion was seconded by Dan Miller and passed unanimously.

 

Special Guest, Jason Pawlowski:

Jason Pawlowski from the Downtown Neighborhood Association spoke about the efforts of downtown businesses to improve the image of downtown. DNA will host a brainstorming session on March 22 at 6pm at the Centre to get ideas from citizens. Also, this month’s Out to Lunch Speaker will be Jennifer Benson, who is leading the Harvest Market this year.

 

Other Comments & Concerns:

Dan Miller commented on the following: Cherie Murphy is leading an effort to coordinate citizen volunteers to help the city at various positions. He mentioned that he read an article that said Elginites are not customers but partners with the city. The city’s 311 system should be up and running in 2012.

Pat Miller informed the membership that the city has received a demolition permit for the four St. Joe’s properties at the corner of Center and Division Streets.

Deborah Allen mentioned the referendum for Kane County to purchase additional land for the forest preserve.

 

Motion to adjourn:

Moved by John Anderson, seconded by Donna Leetz. Meeting adjourned at 8:45 pm.

 

Following adjournment, political candidates Shane Nowak, Anna Moeller and Tish Powell spoke briefly to the assembly to present their positions, and stayed to meet with people and to field questions.

 

As is our custom, there will be no April meeting. Instead, we will host our annual membership potluck at Lord’s Park Pavilion, from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. on Friday, April 15th. Bring a dish; bring a friend; bring your dues!

 

The next general membership meeting is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 355 E. Chicago, Room 239.

 

Recorded by Jennifer Williams, Secretary