The Gifford Park Association is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the Elgin Historic District. The GPA is perhaps most well-known to the general public for the annual Historic Elgin House Tour. Other major projects that we do during the year are Architectural Salvages, problem property rehabs, pocket park and The Great Unveiling.
Our Mission is:
- To undertake educational efforts, enhancing appreciation and development of pride in the architectural and design heritage of the City of Elgin.
- To provide public educational tours, workshops, materials and technical assistance on preservation and design and to assist other not-for-profit community agencies in their building restoration efforts, utilizing our members and volunteers from the community.To engage in projects involving preservation and beautification that enhance the visual appearance and heritage of the neighborhoods and the City of Elgin and helps build Elgin’s spirit of community.
- To support programs that serve children and youth and that contribute to the well being of the City and its neighborhoods.
- To encourage and support through contributed expertise and volunteer time:
- Quality community planning through the development of appropriate plans and codes, and their implementation and;
- Public capital and beautification projects to enhance the neighborhoods and the City of Elgin.
Through programs, projects, and educational outreach, GPA will serve to showcase our neighborhoods and the city of Elgin to its citizens and to others within the Chicago metropolitan region, and the State of Illinois and Midwest.